There goes my image, part 2

I've developed a fascination for Veggie Tales. It's clever, charming and the songs are very easy to get stuck in my head. I find myself popping in the DVDs been there nothing on interest in the PBS kid's broadcasting. I do enjoy me some Clifford the Big Red Dog.

I'd ask what the hell happened to me, but I already know the answer: doggone kids. It's gotten to the point that I get more excited to be TINY TITANS and SUPERGIRL: COSMIC ADVENTURES IN THE 8TH GRADE in my comics pick-up than JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA. Of course this may also be due to the kid's comics that companies are putting out now are just flat out fun.

BOOM! Studios is seeing a great deal of success with their new kids line. The main gripe I used to here about BOOM! was about the predominance of adult oriented titles from the company. This was true, they specialized in horror comics and the sci-fi books they had like their WARHAMMER series were for more mature readers. Now, along with the horror and sci-fi which are really solid stuff (I'm hooked on FALL OF CTHULU), we've got fun books from them like FARSCAPE and EUREKA! as well as great kids titles like THE INCREDIBLES, CARS and THE MUPPET SHOW. And they're selling.

Imagine that. Fun comics. And they're selling.

Turn off the TV and turn down the volume on your compute. Listen closely. You can actually hear it. Fanboys gnashing their teeth and shouting, "NO! Comics are for grown ups! The medium grew up! I want realism in my comics! I want dark! I want epic! I want dark and epic! Epic and dark! Those kids comics cannot be successful! Where's the grim? Where's the gritty? How dare they shine light into my parent's basement!"

Well, if those fanboys don't want the medium to die with them, then they should be dropping to their knees and thanking the companies for making kids comics, because new readers don't grow on trees. They grow up in our homes and have bright imaginations to be fueled and not tarnished with the grim and gritty garbage that is too often passed off as "realism".

I'm going to go read TINY TITANS with kids now. Hoppy the Marvel Bunny guests stars. YAY!

No comments: