Stupid bit of the week

My sister-in-law is a teacher. She puts up with a lot, especially since she deals with troubled kids. She's also had a very, very rough and tragic few years. Here's the latest in the river of crap.

Her school had a drill for what to do in case there is a person with a gun in the school. They said lock the door, barricade it, and have the students get up against the wall. She does so. Then she hears a girl screaming in the hallways. My sister knows it's a drill, but there could have been a student out there who didn't and was freaking out. And what if it wasn't a drill? Was she to leave the girl out there in harm's way? She opens her door briefly to check and there's a female police officer who spots her, points at her and says, "You're dead." She then comes into the room and precedes to tell my sister in front of her class that her whole class is now dead because of her. This is a cue for one of the students to start screaming at my sister.

Here's why this whole situation is really stupid and people should lose their jobs.

This is a school drill, not a military war game. Telling people they're "dead" in that situation is just tacky.

The school provided no protocol for what to do in that situation. If you are going to present a problem of this nature, you better also have a solution as well. None of the teachers were prepared for that situation, and I'd have opened the door too if I thought it was safe.

The officer absolutely should not have told my sister in front of her class that she got them all killed. That completely undermines any authority my sister had over those kids. The officer should have taken my sister aside and told her what the mistake was out of earshot of those kids.

I don't think that officer should be working in the schools anymore. I'm not saying she's a bad cop or that their shouldn't be an officer present at the school, but some people just aren't right for certain envirornments. Frankly, she should be reprimanded for the treatment of my sister.

Lastly, the school needs to get it's act together. If they want to run drills like this because they think it's necessary for the protection of the students and faculty then they need to get the proper protocols figured out and make sure they are available to all the teachers.

In short: they all suck. End rant.

3 comments:

Kristiine Havener said...

That is seriously messed up. O_o

Anonymous said...

Yay!

A class full of kids taught that teachers are stupid, that murder's a game, that caring for people is dumb and that the person holding the gun is the powerful and awesome one.

That's BOUND to help stop violence in schools! Good job!

Marty Nozz said...

I don't think my sister is going to be working at that school next year. She's had it with them, and will be trying to get a job at another school.

I visited that school a couple years back. They jokingly offered me a job once I told them a few of my philosophies on teaching children. Had I been working there they would have likely fired me for chewing out a cop, telling a kid to site down and shut up and then raising a stick with the administration.

Home schooling is looking so good right now.