Can't

Got another new student with a 'can't' problem. She's new so she doesn't realize that I've barred the word from the dojo. Can't is the favorite little excuse of those who don't want to apply themselves. They have their reasons for throwing it out there. Usually because they're not too sure on what I've asked them to do. This wasn't the case here. She knew what to do, she just didn't want to do it in front of the rest of the class. This is the point that some people would say, "well she's just a little girl and she'll perform that kata in front of the glass when she's ready" and that's when I say "she's ready when I say she's ready" tell the girl to "suck it up" and she does what I tell her.

I'd say I used to be such a nice person, but no one would believe it.

If you say "you can't" then I can guarantee that you won't. Life's tough enough without you defeating yourself. So a 5 year old girl was made to do something she said she can't do. Guess what. She did it.

"I can't" doesn't get results. "I can't" doesn't pass the test. "I can't" doesn't win trophies. "I can't" doesn't stop that guy from mugging you.

So what would happen if she ended up unable to perform that kata I told her to? Nothing. She would have tried, and the next time she would have tried harder. It reminds of of a guy i know would was learning martial arts and did not want to test because he saw no point in the test. It was a principle thing with him. "I don't see why I should have to test." And then he made the mistake of asking for input on the matter.

"You test because your instructor said so."

"I don't see why I should have to."

"Because otherwise you're wasting that instructor's time. Testing is part of the training."

"I don't want to go up in rank."

"Then you are wasting your time because you are not going to learn anything new. Quit."

I don't know if he did or not. He certainly hasn't mentioned anything about training in my presence ever again. Sure, I was kinda mean to him, but coddling was what created that mindset to begin with.

You don't get anywhere by hiding behind excuses.

No comments: