Marty versus V-Blogging

I love Youtube. Love it, love it, love it all the live long day. I get to watch martial arts clips and other fun stuff. I think it's really great how people can use it to share funny videos they've gotten or even use it to show off short films they've made. And yes now people have gone to the next level of Blogging and done video blogs to put on Youtube. Now there's nothing at all wrong with this, but if you're going to do it, you need to do it correctly.

It's little things that make these video blogs work. Looking presentable, having something interesting to say, being able to speak clearly, not going "um" before every sentence. If you have a nifty backdrop, that's cool. Having a 'theme' so regular viewers know what to expect is a plus. It doesn't take a ton of effort to do one of these, but putting in effort really does make these pop.

But there are some major things you should avoid doing.



Wow, is that guy pissed!

Here's the part where I'm to be chastised and told that she should not be judged on her appearance. Sorry, if she didn't want to be judged on her appearance SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE MADE VIDEOS AND PUT THEM ON YOUTUBE! She could just type her thoughts and feeling out and posted them like I'm doing here. But if she absolutely must make video blogs then I have a few tips to help her get rid of the pesky comments that seem to be plaguing her:

1) Make-up
2) A more flattering haircut
3) Not being a nut

And the "you'll be lucky" bit she has is a killer. This isn't pro-rasslin'. She's not going to confront these people making fun of her online in a tables, ladders and chairs match. The moment you start talking tough and making threats, you lose.

Warning: the video below contains harsh language and a moron.


Yeah. Video blog arguing. Not debating, arguing. You can be passionate about a subject. You can speak and let your emotions show. Having a tantrum doesn't accomplish anything. Hollering "OK?" after every sentence doesn't make your opinions any more forceful or give them any more weight. So, this guy winds up the big loser in his video war. Had he spoken calmly and laid out clear points instead of yelling how THE DARK KNIGHT is the greatest movie ever made, he might have gotten a little traction behind his argument and come out looking at least a little credible. Having the only adjective in your verbal arsenal be "fucking" doesn't help either.

These are just examples. There plenty of others out there and they're not hard to find. As for me, I won't be video blogging any time soon. I'm perfectly happy typing my opinions. Besides, no one wants to look at my mug as I ramble on about Batman anyhow.

But really it's my own ego tat won't let me do it, because I know I'll never be as good at it as this guy:


The Goblin abides.

3 comments:

Kristiine Havener said...

You made me watch things I did not want to see - but it was worth it! xD

p47y said...

I have always seen video bloggers as attention whores XP. And the "good" ones turn out to be fake anyway. :( How sad.

Anonymous said...

Marty-

The GG blog was hilarious! Thanks for a good laugh...

-Gabe