Comics: mine, others, and Crisis Avoided

First up: my stuff!

Chris has finished up MERE MORTAL issue 3, and if taking the week off to work on other thing and a site update before starting issue 4. I've completed the first chapter of NIGHT LIFE, and will be taking the week off as I'm transitioning from a strip format to a regular comic page format. This is a bit intimidating for me, but you don't get anywhere by being a wuss. You may be asking how we managed to get to end of our prospective chapters at the same time? We're just slick that way.

And now: other people's stuff!

In a random act of e-narcissism I Googled myself. That always sounds dirty, no matter how many times you say it. Anyways, a listing came up for me at boxxet.com under 'Blue beetle' and the page, which I had absolutely nothing to do with, had a bit from this here blog and told the gentle readers to check here for more info on BLUE BEETLE. Of course, I haven't said anything about BLUE BEETLE since that one post that got ganked for that site, UNTIL NOW! This week's issue was good times. I like Sturges on the writing chores, and we have Rafael Albuquerque on art, so I'm a happy camper. I was really worried about this book after John Rogers left, but it seem to have gotten it's footing back.

Over in TEEN TITANS we get a very nesty bait and switch story. I honestly sat there and said, "That did not just happen". This title's been in some trouble since Geoff Johns left it. It just doesn't seem to be able to keep my focus. I thought the Terror Titans story was alright, but not great. The team keeps losing members. I know there's some spin off series planned, but right now, I don't know how intersted I really am in checking it out.

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES had my attention for the first time in a long time, and not just from the last page of shocker of two of my favorite Legionaires canoodling. I like the series, although it does need to tighten up just a little more on the narrative. I'm very glad that the series will be surviving the Legion of the Three Worlds event. There was quite a bit of worry from myself and other Legion "Threeboot" fans that this version of the Legion would be done away with in favor of the Legion that Geoff Johns brought back in his Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes story.

Justice Society of America continues it's story of Gog and Magog, which ties in with Mark Waid and Alex Ross's series KINGDOM COME. The story continues to be a strong one, whether your a fan of KINGDOM COME or not. Lots of good elements coming into play as Superman from the KC universe watches event unfold before him that had dire consequences on his world. Unfortunately this story is geared towards readers who have been reading comics for quite a while. Yes, still story loses quite a bit of punch if you ahven't read KINGDOM COME, but it's still worth the time to pick it up.

And on to SUPERMAN, which marks the first time I've really followed this title. I showed up for James Robinson's writing and I haven't been disappointed. The hook on the end of this issue has got me eagerly awaiting next month. Even you haven't read the title in a while, now's a really great time to come on back.

Finally: Final Crisis management.

It's no secret that I'm terribly disappointed in FINAL CRISIS and BATMAN: R.I.P., and I've dropped both titles. I gave both three issues, and neither could keep me interested. Here's the thing on FINAL CRISIS, no I don't like the series, but I'm really loving the spin offs.

Meltzer's LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT is not a direct tie in, but it's an event so I'm talking about it here. As stories go, it's a solid one. It revolves around the final night of the DCU. Something's happened, which Meltzer is vague on, but that probably a wise move, but it's bad. End of the world kind of bad and the heroes know that this is very likely their last fight. Much of the story revolves around Geo-Force wanting to finally get his revenge on Deathstroke for his sister. Much of what goes on with other heroes is handled in a page of two. The story is solid, but unless you're a fan of Geo-Force, and at last count there were about twelve of us, you likely will not care.

Second issue of ROGUES' REVENGE hit and I'm loving this book. The Rogues, like myself, decided to give the whole FINAL CRISIS thing the finger. And while I'm getting heat at the comic shop for my decision, Captain Cold and his crew are getting their own heat. They're looking to handle a few last bits of business before going to ground, namely, killing that punk Inertia. Libra's got a problem with them not playing ball, and it's on like Donkey Kong.

Then there's the SUPERMAN BEYOND 3D. I don't like 3D anything. Never been a fan. The story is tight though. This is the kind of stuff I wanted to see in FINAL CRISIS. Champions of the multiverse coming together fo take on some big badness. Superman kicking butt and taking names. If we had more of this sort of thing in FINAL CRISIS I'd be singing it's praises to the heavens.

So, that's my week in comics. Later.

No comments: