My BFF

OMG! I'm sending a shout out to my bff Sara! Like, she totally works at the YMCA with me! She's SO cool! L8r!

I completely suck at chat speak. Curse me and my literacy! I'll never be one of the cool kids now.

Sara does really exist and yes she really does work with me at the Y, and due to a coin toss she is my 'BFF'. The girl who lost the coin toss is very bitter about that. Not that Alex is a bad person, but that's what the coin decreed. I am a slave to the coin.

The 'BFF' thing is our new running gag. While Sara is young and hip, I most assuredly am not, but I can fake it to a degree. So we laugh, we do the fist pound, and mention something odd with some celebrity and comment 'WTF'.

Do I have a hatred of chat speak? Well, a can't help but think of the phone commercial featuring the girl whose mother is asking her about the charges in there bill for texting and upon inquiring as to whom this girl is sending all these messages to replies "Idk my bff Jill?" Amazing actress. Truly. Rarely does a performance pull such an emotional response from me. That response is a burning desire to whack her upside the head with a tire iron, but it's still an emotional one.

Things like 'omg', 'lol' and 'wtf' have moved into the mainstream of our language. Sure, they lack style of their predecessors 'snafu' and 'fubar', but there they are. It still galls me a bit to see them in e-mails. I still think it's stupid when people actually say them. Perhaps, I really need to change with times and accept the fact that to a degree literacy is passé.

Or I can just appear to be the most intelligent person in the room with my ability to communicate without need of translation.

TTYL.

No comments: