DC's ABCs

I'm not liking the way this year's going with my comics. Used to be when someone asked me, "Hey Marty, what are you really liking in comics?" I'd reply, "It's as easy as ABC: The All new Atom, Blue Beetle and Checkmate." Well all good things eventually come to an end.

Gail Simone wrapped up her Atom run tying off the loose ends in a nice neat little bow. She moved on to write the most enjoyable Wonder Woman since Greg Rucka left the title. Unfortunately all the charming weirdness went with her and now the book is canceled.

John Rogers delivered the best story I've read in comics with his final issues of Blue Beetle. Seriously, it was everything that a comic should be. I still go back and re-read those issue when I'm wanting a good smile. Now every issue feels like filler. There's even been a 'Spanish issue' gimmick that was just a a colossal failure. You don't keep readers on a book after a fan favorite writer leaves by putting out a book that is an pain to try to read.

The previously mentioned Greg Rucka finished out his Checkmate run with a three issue storyline that had enough action and drama to be a major event wrapped up in one neat and tidy package. Now Bruce Jones has sent me screaming from the title. I only was able to deal with his god awful Nightwing run because I knew the character was on Dan Didio's hit list and that would be an incredibly stupid move. Had to support the character. I can't deal with that same writer butchering Checkmate. I dropped it two issues into his run.

Seems I'm dropping a lot of books lately. I'm bailing on Batman since this latest "R.I.P." bit is the most disappointing storyline since "Hush". I'm barely hanging on to Final Crisis. I'm still reading for one reason. I was promised sumo. I was delivered sumo.

Right now Wonder Woman, Booster Gold and Tiny Titans are still keeping me happy. Hopefully something will get me excited soon.

No comments: