My Stepmother's Curse

I'm reminded of one of my favorite comic series, HITMAN by Garth Ennis and John McCrea. I loved that book. Loved every last issue of it. Strangely enough, my step-mother loved it too. You see, once you got past the over the top violence in the book you had these extraordinary characters. Even though they were killers they seemed more decent than a lot of folks I've run across. The book spoke more eloquently of honor, family and friendship than anything else I've read.

My step-mother is a very sweet and kind woman, not the type you would imagine would read HITMAN. She did have one problem. Whenever she would declare any character in that comic to be her favorite, they would die. "I love Ringo." Gunned down by five guys with assault rifles. "I love Sean." Stabbed by a mob hitter. It finally just kept going until she declared Tommy and Natt, the main characters, were her favorites.

That was the end of the series.

And now it seems I've inherited it. Problem is, that it's evolved. Now whenever I start following a comic at DC it's set to be canceled. BIRDS OF PREY and NIGHTWING are next on the list. I have the urge to delete all my praise for WONDER WOMAN from this blog for fear Dan DiDio will read it and target it for cancellation. DC seriously needs a new editor-in-chief. It's like he wants the readers to go away, or at least me at any rate.

No comments: