Heroes (not the TV show)

I've always been a superhero fan. I can't remember a time when I wasn't. Everyone has a hero, whether they run around in spandex or not. One of my heroes had a pretty tough weekend.

At UFC 91 Randy Couture lost his heavyweight championship to Brock Lesnar. It was a hell of a fight. I'm saddened by the outcome, after all Couture even as the champ was coming into this as an underdog and like most folks I love seeing an underdog come out on top. My friends and I have said it all before. "Man, he's getting kinda old." "Wow, that other guy is so big and strong." Over and over we've seen Couture defy the odds. It didn't happen this time.

It wasn't for lack of trying. Despite being 14 years older than his opponent and being 45 pounds lighter, Couture gave Lesnar a hell of a fight. Clearly Lesnar's greatest test since entering mixed martial arts. Lesnar deserves all the credit for passing the test. It wasn't luck, or a fluke. It was a solid combination and good follow up.

It would be so easy to vilify Lesnar. With his size advantage, he could easily fit the role of 'big bully'. But it's not the case. He was gracious with his victory, just as Couture was gracious in his defeat. Couture doesn't fight villains like the characters I usually write about. He fights the odds. He faces opponents in the ring and puts his skills and hard work to the test. He doesn't ramble on about kicking people's asses. He talks about 'imposing his will' upon them. He's a sportsman.

Athletes are easy to see as heroes. They inspire us with their feats and victories. They often don't ask for the title of 'hero', but the onslaught of fandom gives it to them.

So, Randy Couture is one of my heroes. I'd love to be as tough and skilled as he is, even though that'll likely never happen, it's good to try. They call him 'Captain America' which honestly if I was going to equate him to any comic book character I can't think of one better. I admire many of the the same attribute in Couture as I do in Cap: perseverance, skill, graciousness. My favorite super-heroes, like my favorite fighters all have something going for them besides their powers or fighting skills. They have heart.

So, Couture right now is going to figure out which direction he wants to go in after losing the belt. Honestly, if he retired from the game and went of to run his gym and train fighters, I wouldn't blame him. He's done plenty for the sport and for the fans, and I'd be happy with whatever he decides. But would I like to see a re-match?

Hell yes.

Not because of anything against the new champ, but because I'd like to see my hero beat the odds and inspire us all one more time.

No comments: