The math of creation?

And before you get all excited, no I did not unravel the Universal Formula, nor did I develop mathematical proof of the existence of a higher power. That's next week.

Here's how it when down: Frank Miller made THE SPIRIT which got panned by critics and "hardcore fans" of the original Will Eisner comics. This led Kyle Baker to do a post on his blog essentually making fun of the hardcore fandom. A link to that blog made it over to the Comic Discussion Forum of GaiaOnline, and someone posted their thoughts on the blog piece. So Baker created an account on Gaia and entered the conversation, not realizing that he wouldn't be dealing with a bunch of teenagers, but a collection of very sharp minds who don't appreciate being talked down to or being asked to stroke someone else's ego.

In the midst of the debacle the man who refers to himself as "The Greatest Cartoonist of all Time" posted this:

"I'm not sure how much creativity factors into it. Writing, art and music are crafts which can be learned. If you study anything, you can master it. There are rules to writing which can be learned, and there is a very specific formula and method to writing marketable stuff. It's when people stray from formula and try to be creative that they get into trouble."


This reminded me of a little chat I had over in Lis Fies' blog. There's a tendency for creators to compare themselves to other creator as opposed to actually describing themselves and their work. This is enforced by those whom the creators must pitch there work to and probably only have a minute or two to hook the person in question.

So let's take that and apply it to Baker's statement. It ends up being true. Producers want to make money. They want something that works. THE MATRIX worked so for years we heard about upcoming movies being compared to THE MATRIX. It was the new formula for what the people wanted and so it had to be cut open and examined. It's element had to be studied so that writers and directors and film makers would have a blueprint as to how to make a successful movie.

Yep, his statement is true. It's also horribly depressing that a cartoonist would even think such a thing. And so now we have a new dividing line.

Are you a creator who wants to be successful and is struggling to find that recipe for success?

Are you a creator who has a vision and wants to create for the sheer joy/need to create?

Are you about the love or the dollar? Sure you can have or want both, but at the end of the day why are you doing what you are doing?

You can be very good at creating and even successful, but not love it. It's work. It's how you pay your bills. That's fine. We all gotta eat. But it's all so much better, and the work you produce is so much better when you love what you're doing.

So what about that pesky creativity that'll get you in trouble if you let it? Embrace it. Stretch your imagination so that you can reach out through your work and stretch the imaginations of others. Don't try to figure out the formula for what's going to work. Art is not math. Art is emotion given form. Think about the creators you admire, the one's that create the formulas that others try to emulate. Do you think they were trying to just find what works and stick with that? I doubt it. They do what they do, and let us try to apply the numbers afterwards in out vain attempts to figure out 'how'd they do that'?

Lis asked me who do I compare myself to.

I answered: No one. Let the fuckers compare themselves to me.

6 comments:

Trick Question said...

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

Albert Einstein

"When patterns are broken, new worlds emerge."

Tuli Kupferberg

"The creative person is both more primitive and more cultivated, more destructive, a lot madder and a lot saner, than the average person."
Frank Barron

Live by those, writers, artists, creators. Living with your mind inside a formula is denying yourself the true beauty of creating.
TQ

Amanita Minute said...

In that quote, I was addressing a man who was saying he wanted to be a professional writer, but wished he had more talent. I like to encourage aspiring writers and artists by telling them their goals are not beyond reach. I also suggested a book that he could read to become a better writer.

I had been attracted to the Gaia conversation because the forum posters seemd to feel that some cartoonists are unresponsive to the fans, and appear to be ungrateful. I wanted to find out if there were anything I could do to help bridge the gap. I actually learned a lot and have subsequently made an effort to be nicer online thanks to their guidance. For example, when someone offers me a compliment online, I say thank you, which hadn't really occurred to me before the conversation. I also have started giving away online editions of my books, as a "thank you" to readers. I've posted two books so far, and will update every week with a new book. And I hope that by helping readers learn how to get into the business, they might see what's involved in producing the work and maybe see that when someone produces work that fails it is not done with malice toward readers.

Anyway, I hope my comment about creativity wasn't too glib. I was hoping to demystify the craft for someone who wanted to break into the business.I do believe that if someone studies and practices they can attain any professional goal.

If you are fortunate enough to have been blessed with a creative gift, then run with it and more power to you. The rest of us have to rely on formulas to write a story which people will enjoy.

Thanks for mentioning me. I appreciate it. I had a great time with the Gaia gang, and hope I'll have an opportunity to visit again.

Trick Question said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trick Question said...

The folks at Gaia welcome you to come back.

I was being ironic when i mentioned wishing i was more creative. In fact, at times, i wish my mind was less. Too many ideas cloud focus.

I'll probably check out the book that you suggested.

I'd also like to say that...you don't have to feel like we want something from you.
As stated, we're a pretty straightforward group. If we have questions and such, we'll definitly ask them.

I'd love to see you come back, but not as Kyle Baker-Comic Creator, but Kyle Baker-Comic Fan. You don't have to be "On" around the folks on gaia.
You say you wanted to make friends, well then come do that.
it takes a while to warm up sometimes, but we always welcome informed and insightful posters.

CJ Hammer
(former post deleted for additional content)

Kyle Baker said...

Creative. That was the word. Yeah, and so I said that there are other factors besides creativity. I don't actually have the thread in front of me. Anyway, I hope that my response helps you in your goals. When I was trying to break into comics I was lucky to get advice from folks like Al Milgrom and Larry Hama which really helped me reach my goal. I think it's important to do the same for others, and I hope that you'll pass advice on to others in the same way. I usually volunteer to talk at schools a couple of times a year for the same reason.

I had a great time chatting with everyone the other day, and I've been telling all of my friends they should drop by Gaia online too. I'll be by again when I'm not on deadline.

Good luck with the writing. You might also want to visit Stephen J. Cannell's website. He wrote and produced a lot o hit TV shows, and he has a five-page seminar on writing available for free. I use his writing tips all the time.

Keep at it, and I'm sure you'll do fine. Persistence is key. And being able to take criticism. Editors and producers always want changes, and though I hate criticism, I always try to give the editor the changes he asked for, and very often it makes a better book. I'm redrawing a job for a DC editor now, and although I'm disappointed he didn't like my first draft, I think the changes will make a more satisfying book for the reader.

Good luck and thanks for spending time with me.

Trick Question said...

I wish you continued success , and thank you for taking the time to speak with us as well.

Thank you for the tips. I, and all the other writing hopefuls, appreciate any references that will help us improve.
Maybe we can talk shop sometime
;)


Hope to talk to you again soon.

Good Travels, Friend.
C. Jay Hammer