This not a good time to be a bad nerd. There's all these nerdy things all about us in various media. I have many nerd friends (people I only know on the internet still count as friends!), and they're all very excited. I can't go on much of any social media without seeing something about recent nerd movies/TV shows/ whatever or one of the same coming out this year.
And I just don't care.
And this is troubling to me! I'm not trying to be Hipster Nozz over here! I wish I was excited about all these things that're coming out! Aside from the Marvel Netflix stuff and some of the comics I read nothing is really getting me stoked. Its really depressing. Not totally terrible of course. I still have The Walking Dead comic, and a lot of the Marvel stuff since the re-launch has been a lot of fun.
However, much of what a lot of people seem to be excited about doesn't appeal to me. And its weird in that much of it has gotten so mainstream that the people I know who aren't really part of the "nerdcore" see it, like it, and think of me. "Marty must be really excited by all of this!"
And I'm not. Let's review my bad nerd credentials.
* I hate the new STAR WARS movie. I really do. Its not a bad movie. Its very well done. I wasn't terribly excited about going to see it. The Missus wanted to check it out, so we went. If you haven't seen it yet I'm going to dance around a spoiler as best I can.
If a fictional character that I have loved since childhood, one that was the epitome of cool for me as a kid, and my favorite thing in that entire fictional universe, gets horribly murdered in a film, I'M NOT GOING TO LIKE THAT FILM!!! That's the only thing I think of in regards to that movie. All the other stuff has just become a grey haze to me because of that one part. I'm seriously to the point where I want nothing to do with STAR WARS because of that one thing.
There's no logic behind it. Its purely, 100% emotionalism. The last thing that really had me vested in the franchise got bumped off, and with that I've out grown STAR WARS.
* I hate THE DARK KNIGHT. This is not news to those who have followed me for a while. The movie that a lot of people hail as the most amazing Batman movie ever, I rank it right down with BATMAN AND ROBIN. It was a great Joker movie, but made Batman out to be a two-fisted moron with Morgan freeman there to do all the heavy thinking for him. I found it just hard to watch.
And unfortunately it started a trend with Warner brothers to which ever Superman got very grim and gritty. MAN OF STEEL looked like something I needed to keep my children away from, and like the brilliant writer Greg Rucka put it "Any Superman movie that you can't take your kids to isn't a good Superman movie."
So, no I'm not excited at all for the SUPERMAN VS BATMAN movie. Ben Affleck does look like he'll make a great Batman, but I have no interest in a movie which Martha Kent tells Clark he doesn't owe the world a thing. In these movies, Ma and Pa Kent are the worst parents ever. And honestly, I don't feel like going to a movie to watch two superheroes I like beat each other up. Go fight a villain. You've both got plenty of them.
Which brings us to...
* CIVIL WAR. Damn it all anyways. Why? Why on earth do people praise that comic? Its terribly written. The artwork is really nice, but the book portrays Captain America as being a freaking nut and not much better than the Punisher. And ever since then Ironman has been a almost a villain with no one really trusting him. Now, we've had a reboot and Ironman is really awesome again! But now there's going to be another CIVIL WAR comic which pits Ironman against Captain Marvel. Yes, the Captain Marvel that's going to be getting her own movie in a couple years. We couldn't go six months since SECRET WAR in which everyone got along and fought bad guys?
Oh and the movie?
OK, let's take two characters that we've been made to like and put them against each other. And that last scene with Cap and Bucky being the crap out of Ironman was disturbing. They looked like a couple of bullies. This may well be the first movie that Marvel studios puts out that I full on avoid.
* Speaking of Marvel movies: screw DEADPOOL. I hate that character. I'm annoyed by his rabid fandom. I'm absolutely stunned that a movie actually got off the ground and fully expect this thing to flop, because I think more people will just illegally download from somewhere instead of shelling out the bucks to go see it.
* SUICIDE SQUAD. Yeah, concerning that: I've taken all of my f--ks and put them in a time capsule which is not to be unearthed until well after I'm dead because i won't be giving any of them.
Fortunately there's still so good nerdy TV for me to enjoy. I really wish LEGENDS OF TOMORROW was going to be on on a night that I won't get home until after its over, but those are the breaks.
There's all these things out there that people are going to be buzzing about. It'll likely come up at shows when I'm trying to sell my comic, and I'll smile uncomfortably and make some excuse about not finding time to go see it, but I'll catch it of DVD, and hey, let's talk about my book.
Its very frustrating. I want to enjoy these things, but its just all so wrong to me. I'm having people who didn't start out nearly as nerdy as me knowing a lot more about some of this stuff than I do. I've gotten pretty good at smiling and shrugging my shoulders over it.
I will say this, its kinda tough when the stuff everyone's so excited about bums you out.