Unleashing the Beast

Allow me to share the mountain of self-importance that I currently possess.

The local alternative station 96X does a little feature on weekdays, "The 4:20 Buzz", in which they feature new music and listeners respond if they want it in rotation or not.  I drive a lot.  I don't have a working CD player or any other music player in the car.  Its radio or nothing so I have a definite interest in there being good music on the radio.  I started calling in to vote, and honestly I did not think my one vote would matter all that much.  The fellow that takes the calls, James Steele, took an interest in me after a referred to one song as "freaky strip club music".

Things progressed from me just calling and spouting off about the song of the day to the two of us chatting about music, radio, the alternative format and everything.  The station is 20 years old this year and I remember fondly being a college kid and having this station blow my mind.

Last Tuesday I asked "Hey, why aren't you guys playing "Beast" by Nico Vega?"  Most of you probably know this song from the BIOSHOCK INFINITE trailer.  That song is freaking perfect for the format on the X and I didn't just want to push it because it was a song I liked, but because I really thought it would do well on the station.  I mentioned it, and James made a note of it.  I did figure that the note would get shuffled off, because this guy is busy and gets bombarded with "play this song blah blah blah..." all the time.

Thursday night I get a message from him on Twitter.  He listened to the song.

Friday I get in the car to drive home.  One song was ending on the X and sure enough the very next song was "Beast".  I played it at horribly inappropriate volume, windows down, and head banging.  I called James.  He had gotten a message from the indy rep a while back about that song.  I got him to listen.  He contacted the rep and got an awesome version for the radio.  Starts out slow and bit folk-sy and then kicks your teeth in.

Even got a Tweet from Nico Vega. ":) xo nv"

Sometimes, really cool stuff can happen when you just open your mouth.

No comments: